Week 8 Post - Static IP Address

     In middle school, I always had issues with my NAT restriction and ability to play my Xbox 360 with certain friends. Every time I finally got my NAT open the next day without fail, it would be "Strict" and ruin my plans. At the time (8th grade), I researched and read about setting up static IP addresses on devices used regularly. Even with my attempts, I could only partially understand how to get the settings to save and work the next day. I last had this issue when I moved away from a farm in the middle of nowhere into a somewhat urban city. The interest was always there, but I have yet to pursue it. That was until this week when it was all about IP addresses. 

    Having recently purchased a Raspberry Pi to be inserted into an arcade cabinet project I am building, I figured now is the best time to try this again. One may ask why I would be doing this, mainly because I want to ensure that specific ports and settings that I need for this device are forever carried forward until I change it, and not changed every day or time I turn it on. Anyone who has tinkered with optimal download rates has most likely run into the frustration of their speed being slower, even though all parameters are the same as the last time they tested, and that is something I would like to avoid. Not only this, but I would also like to test the real-world benefits of this configuration over something like a server that usually should have a static IP to make sure data is accessible at the quickest moment. 

    I found this article on step-by-step instructions on how to perform this here.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog (Late) - AI and Email

Week 6 Post - Parallels

Week 5 Post - HDCP Strippers